It is believed that Coffee was invented in an Ethiopian province called Kaffa but there is controversy about where it originated. In Ethiopia, shepherds were the first person to observe the influence of the caffeine in coffee beans when their goats consumed appeared to "dance" and have an increased level of energy after eating some wild coffee berries in the pasture. Coffee first became trendy in Arabia during the 13th century. Coffee cultivation first took place in southern Arabia in 13th century. The earliest credible evidence of coffee drinking appears in the middle of the 15th century in the Sufi shrines of Yemen.
Coffee trees were grown in India sometime after 1600, and some around 1650 coffee was imported in to England and coffee houses opened in London and Oxford. Coffee received a major boost in popularity during the rise of Islam as they removed alcohol but adopted coffee as an acceptable drink. From the Muslim world, coffee spread to Italy. It was introduced in France in 1657, and in Austria and Poland following the 1683 Battle of Vienna, when coffee was captured from supplies of the defeated Turks.
Coffee is a brewed beverage with a strong flavor prepared from the roasted seeds of the coffee plant. The first reference to "coffee" in the English language is in the form chaoua in 1598. The beans are found in coffee cherries, which grow on trees cultivated in over 70 countries, primarily in equatorial Latin America, Southeast Asia, South Asia and Africa.It is rich in caffeine, an ingredient known for its invigorating effects. The first European coffee house opened in Italy in the year 1645. The Dutch were the first to import coffee and coffee beans on a large scale. Some Coffee Facts :
- In 2010 Brazil was the world leader in production of green coffee, followed by Vietnam, Indonesia and Colombia.
- Originally, coffee farming was done in the shade of trees that provided a habitat for many animals and insects.
- It takes about 140 liters of water to grow the coffee beans needed to produce one cup of coffee.
- The best (but least used) method of drying coffee is using drying tables.
- Instant coffee was originally invented in 1907.
- Coffee ingestion on average is about a third of that of tap water in North America and Europe.
- Behind petroleum, coffee is the second most traded product in the world.